Monday, August 23, 2010

Fun , Fast, easy to use! NOT hyperbole.

One of the things that use to bother me immensely when I was in the video game business was the fact that our packaging was just plain downright deceptive.  I don't know how many of the readers of this blog were old enough to have a video game system back in the early 1980s, but the graphics were REALLY crude back then.  But, you;d never guess is by the packaging and flyers.  Here's a sample.


But, here is what you REALLY got!



At least this next one showed the actual graphics one saw when playing the game.  But, that is not what caught the eye of the consumer as they scanned the video games on the wall at the stores.


Then there were my discussions with Alan and Stephen Hassenfeld of Hasbro, when we talked about how toys and games were priced.  Hasbro is really NOT a toy and game company.  It is, fundamentally, a plastics company.  Toys and games are a means of moving plastic.  But, the cost of the plastic in the games is insignificant.  So, it is the advertising budget that sets the cost of a toy.  And, one sentence still rings in my head.  Well, bangs around in my head, so I'll have to paraphrase... "The bigger the smile on the actors, the less likely the game is to actually be fun!"  Over the years I've found that to be 100% true.  I don't buy games where the actor's smiles in the ads look like a happy face on steroids!

So, it is a delight for me to report that the eCraft packaging, with the slogan, "Fun, Fast and Easy to use!" is not deceptive hyperbole.  It's the truth.  And, this past weekend brought that home to me is a big way.  It's fun.  A LOT of fun.  And, it's fast.  In fact, maybe a bit too fast.  And, since all my granddaughters wanted to me to do was get out of the way after showing them the controls, I think it's safe to say that it is, in fact, easy.  At least easy enough for an 8 year old to operate it with proficiency!

I know that some of you are thinking.  It's electronic.  Of COURSE an 8 year old can do it.  So, how about this one.  It's at least easy enough for a sixty six year old with more than their fair share of head injuries to use it with some proficiency.  Does that work better to prove the point?

But, had they added one more word.... "inexpensive" then I would have had to take real issue with them.  This thing is going to cost me a FORTUNE in paper costs and it's going to be hard to explain all this glitter on my hands, clothing and what's left of my hair!!!!  That's  the downside of Fun, Fast and Easy!  It's going to get used and it's going to get used a LOT!

Brother, can you spare a dime????

2 comments:

Beth said...

Your post made me laugh because that is so true! I love paper sales!! You could tell them the truth about the glitter but would they believe it? E What???

I tried explaining the ECraft to my friend and she did not get it until I showed her a YouTube video.

Tom Meeks said...

Wouldn't you know it. I have plenty of less expensive card stock. And, a pile of moderately costly card stock. But, my granddaughters went right for the gold! Literally!

If it glitters, and especially if it glitters gold, then THAT is what they wanted. It's like that text messaging ad for one of the cell phone companies where each cell phone spits out a register receipt. Craftwell might as well have hung a calculator of the side so we could keep track of the bucks being turned into pretty little shapes by pretty little girls!!!

And, of course, PopPop is a push-over. And, they know it.

Fortunately, I have so little hair that there is no need to go to a barber any more. I can only guess what the barbar might be thinking as little sparkles jump around with the vibrating of the clippers. Yep. Would NOT want to go there. LOL!