As I pulled out the sheet it was immediately apparent that at some point I'd tried to cut the infamous 3" tree in it and had not been able to cut clear through the material. But, it was probably when I had taken the machine up to my granddaughters and I KNEW we had gotten glitter to cut. So, this find was puzzling.
Then it dawned on me. The actual pressure of the blade seems to be dependent on whether or not the blade cover is on. I've cut enough now to bet that I'd first tried cutting the paper with the blade cover on. So, this time I would run a little test.
I would first try a cut with the blade cover in place and see what happened. If it failed to cut this heavy paper in one pass with the blade cover on, I would attempt a new cut after taking the blade cover off.
Here is the result:
As you can see, the blade cover DOES seem to affect the ACTUAL PRESSURE of the blade on the material. That's puzzling, I know, since the cover had a hole in it that should have no effect on the blade. But, for some reason it does.
So, if you are having problems getting a cut at the highest Pressure Level (8) then try again with the blade cover removed.
Here are two hearts cut with the blade cap off. Pressure 8, Multicut 1, Size 3, No tabs.
Click for larger images
As you can see, these are nice clean cuts. But, the person that alerted me to the issue of not being able to cut the AC Glitter also sent me some photos that demonstrated very clearly that they did have real problems with the blade cover on even with multicut set to high numbers. There is always the possibility that the differences we see have to do with different machines. But, I didn't even try to test how many passes it would take to cut this with the blade cap on. I suspect mine would have looked exactly like hers had I not immediately removed the blade cap. Perhaps she can test it without the cap and let us know how the machine she was testing performs.